Monday, July 26, 2010

Black and White is it for You


Black and white photography can have a dramatic affect on your photos.  When I am shooting photos, in the back of my mind, I am envisioning what the photo may look like in the black and white world. Part of tweaking the photos, I convert the photo to black and white.  How do you convert to black and white?  If you are an Adobe Photoshop user, I use the "Desaturate" option under "Adjustments".  I use this feature, because it allows me to use all the other features of photoshop. If you use the "Grey Scale" feature you limit your photos to a very few features in photoshop. While using Photoshop I find that I can use the "Levels" command and the "Brightness and Contrast" commands as well, which gives me a great deal of control over the contrast as in the example photo shown. With a little practice you can have some really stunning black and white photos that surely will get you the Wow factor that I believe black and white photos must have to keep ones eyes glued to your photos. Go for the Wow factor... and you will be shooting more black and white!

No comments: