Tuesday, November 2, 2010

2010 Sarasota Chalk Festival - Don't Miss It Next Year!!

Remember the days of chalking on the neighborhood streets when you were a kid?!  The Sarasota Chalk Festival took place over the weekend of Oct 30 & 31 2010, yep Halloween weekend!!  As you can see the art is based on this hollowed day for those of you who love that time of the year.  My weekend was highlighted by the annual chalk festival and I loved it.  I have more of these photos up on my website, this is an example of some of the art that graced the Burns Court neighborhood streets. The photo I have, as an example of the art, is actually sunlight in the right places that gives it the "highlighted" shoulder and the light on the eyes, making the drawing appear to have depth. I have one photo that actually was a 3-D chalk drawing and was able to capture it. Again, check my website and you will see the "mouse trap game" photo. It will amaze you with what appears to be "floating" items in the photo.  As for this photo, I liked the way the light plays on the shoulder, giving the material a waving appearance.  You have to remember this image is a chalk drawing on a city street, giving due credit to the artistic talent.  I have always enjoyed this annual festival and will continue to support it. As for how this photo was shot, you will have to remember that it is the early morning light that is coming across the street that gave the streaks of light to appear at the right time. Thus giving me the strange lighting condition on a flat surface. I shot this at ISO 100, F/10 and 1/60th of second shutter speed. I spot metered on the light which gave darker shadows and this photo. So the next time you see some chalk on the street, take advantage of the light and maybe you will get a scary photo like this!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

David Great Photo. Can you please share a disc of your photos with us. We like to keep a history of the festival and rely on the professionals to provide that for us in exchange for us providing the venue. As you know we are a 501(c)(3) and nobody is paid. Look forward to working with you and so happy you enjoyed the artwork. It was an amazing year! Thank you, Denise